Thursday, December 15, 2011

Friends in Low Places

This recovery journey is HARD.  I thought I was prepared.  I did so much reading online and in books about what to expect after a surgery like this one and I really thought I understood what I was getting into.

Nope.

Not a clue.

And what has been most surprising to me is how completely dependent I have had to be in absolutely every area of my life.

For the first eight or nine days I couldn't do anything on my own.

Not.  One.  Thing.

Now I'm able to do a little bit without help and it's so liberating!!!

I am one of the most independent people on the planet.

Not kidding.

So this dependence has been a bit of a drag.

But at the same time, I am experiencing love in a whole new way.

Mark has been so gentle.  So patient.  So kind.  He has taken over so many of my daily tasks as well as taken care of the majority of my daily needs - all with a grace and strength that astounds me.  In the hospital, as he was helping me with some laborious and painful task, Mark looked me in the eyes and said, "I can totally do this for you in your old age."  It was a beautiful, beautiful moment.  And I was so humbled by his sincerity.  And I realized just how much he loves me.

My mom has prepared food, helped me shower, made lunches for my children, helped my children with school work/homework, cleaned out my refrigerator and my pantry, done laundry... and on and on and on.  And she's done it with a bounce in her step and a smile on her face.  She's been tireless.  I'm amazed.

My friends....WOW.

Here's a list of just some of the things they have done:

1.  Arrived at the hospital the day of my surgery at 6:15AM and stayed there until I was settled comfortably in my room after surgery - which was somewhere around 4:00PM (I was a little out of it at the time).  They brought coffee, lunch, dinner.  Kept me company when Mark went home to shower and see the children.

2.  Didn't laugh at me or tease me when I found out, much to my dismay, that I was going home with a walker.  (Well, most of my friends didn't laugh or tease...)

3.  Went to the Relax the Back store and bought me a bed wedge to make my long days in bed more comfortable... and wouldn't let me pay for it.

4.  Brought me cookies.  Lots and LOTS of cookies.

5.  Went to Sam's for me.

6.  Went to the grocery store for me MULTIPLE TIMES.

7.  Did my Christmas shopping.  Wrapped my Christmas presents.

8.  Picked up my daughter's contacts at the eye clinic.

9.  Put together a spreadsheet and organized help for me in my house every single day until Mark is off for Christmas.

10.  Picked up my big boys for play dates.

11.  Took my baby boy on fun outings.

12.  Brought me a bag full of movies, candy and trail mix so that I would never lack for entertainment.

13.  Made me homemade Pumpkin Pie ice cream.  Divine.

14.  Brought my family a meal.  Or more than one meal!

15.  Picked my daughter up from rehearsal EVERY SINGLE DAY and brought her home.

16.  Took a half a day shift or a day long shift here at the house... cleaning, preparing food, taking care of children, changing poopy diapers, baking banana bread and muffins for me.

17.  Spent time with me talking, crying, laughing, beating me at cards, and encouraging me to keep the faith on the hardest of days.

18.  Chatted with me on Facebook, sent me prayers and words of encouragement online that lifted my spirits.

19.  Cracked jokes with me via text, Facebook or email - that made me laugh OUT LOUD and we all know that laughter is the best medicine.

20.  Brought me lattes and Cherry Limeades.

Really, I could go on and on.  I am so humbled and grateful.

I am in a low place right now, but I'm not there alone.  And all of these expressions of love during this time remind me that God is near to me.

And I'm so thankful for that.

6 comments:

  1. you need to understand what an HONOR it is to be on the giving side of this friendship. YOU give so much... it is truly a privilege to be able to give to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't wait to write this until after my shift tomorrow, could you. Until you got your sparkles?? sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do these things for you, because we do them for Jesus, too. As Gayla has said, it is an HONOR to give to you because you do give so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And who laughed at and/or teased you??? I'll smack 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!! This is such a great testimony to the power of friends. You are crazy loved, Kaysie.

    ReplyDelete