Sunday, February 2, 2014

Some People are Worth Melting For

Have you seen Frozen?

If you haven't... stop reading and go.  Now.

If you have, then please tell me you loved it.  If you didn't, that's okay.

But I don't think we can be friends anymore.

My favorite moment in the movie is when Olaf and Anna are back in the castle, and Anna is dying as she slowly freezes to death.  Olaf is trying to help her and lights a fire in the fireplace to get her warm.

Oh, and Olaf is a snowman.

Which makes this act more than just kind.

It's selfless and sacrificial.

Anna tries to stop him.  She knows he'll melt.

And this little snowman, who before now seems to be oblivious to his vulnerability, responds with...

"It's okay.  Some people are worth melting for."

So beautiful.  So profound.

Yesterday, Davy and I watched an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood together (I love that show).  This particular one was all about what makes you special.  The lesson was clear.  You are special because you are you... not because of what you can do.

At the end of the episode, Davy said, "I want to be special.  When will I be special?"

Oh, Davy.

My friend shared this scripture with me the other day, and I've been meditating on it ever since:

...those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 
and the parts that we think are less honorable 
we treat with special honor.

I Corinthians 12:22-23

When I found out I was pregnant with Davy, I did a lot of griping.

A lot.

First of all, I was pushing 40.

Second, I was on the verge of major back surgery.

Third, after several years of trying for #4, we had finally settled our hearts and decided we were done.

We passed on all the maternity clothes, the baby clothes, the baby toys.

Done.

So, the news left me reeling a bit.

And grumbling.

And I guess one day, God had had enough.

It's not that often that I feel the Lord speak to me.  Like... really speak to me.

But on this particular day, I believe He did.

This is what I heard...

"Stop it.  This child is a GIFT."

Okay, then.  

Got it.

So I settled in for the hard part - the pregnancy - and began anticipating our "do over."  I saw this baby as a chance for Mark and me to do it "all" one more time.  

And I embraced it.

And Davy was born.

And he was a gift.

And it was hard.

And it was unpredictable.

And it was exhausting.

And he was worth it.

And it STILL is hard.

And it STILL is unpredictable.

And it STILL is exhausting.

And he STILL is worth it.

So, Davy?

Are you special?

You are indispensable.

You are a gift.

You are worth melting for.







1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete