Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day One

Today is the first day of Lent.  Day one.  Numero Uno.

I only began observing Lent a few years ago.  I was raised Southern Baptist and it's not something traditionally observed in that denomination (or wasn't when I was growing up) so I thought this was something reserved for Catholics.  Our church community here widely embraces the practice and discipline of fasting and I have participated in some fashion off and on through the last few years.

I love the discipline of it.  I love that in doing without something for a period of time, I find myself craving more of God.

I DON'T love the doing without something I love.

This year Mark and I are fasting together.  We haven't done this often in our marriage and we both are excited about sharing the experience.

One of the books I am reading during this time encourages you to be intentional about determining the purpose of your fast.

For my part, I think Mark and I are wanting to cultivate new life in our marriage and in our home.

No, I don't mean another baby.

Lord, no.

But after 17 years of marriage, four children, years of hard work and sacrifice to build a strong foundation for our company and various other challenges that most of us face throughout our lifetimes, some new "life" would be nice.

Life in our relationship with one another.

Life in our relationships with our children.

Life in our day to day schedules.

Life in our family relationships.

Life in our friendships.

Life in our walk with our Father.

I also want to be intentional about a few things that I tend to set aside on a daily basis because I'm just too darn busy to get to them.  Like my quiet times.  Or my blogging times.  Or my writing just for the sake of writing times.  Or my "get on the floor and play with my children" times.

Gonna work on those.

Finally, this book poses the question:  If you could change three things about your life, what would they be?


Yikes.

First of all, there remains in me a sense of shame attached to a few areas of struggle or experiences in my life.  I would LOVE to be able to let those go.

Second, I would like to see a letting go, if you will, of the extreme importance I put on my daily "to do's" so that I have space for other, more important things.  Like my husband.  And my children.  And others that I love so dearly.

Third.  My health.  In general, I'm healthy.  But I'd love to see a change in the amount of pain I deal with on a day to day basis.  I know that this will require some work on my part and I'm doing that now - really doing it.  Exercise.  Change in eating habits.  But I also know that the Lord can meet me as I'm making changes and doing my exercises and help me along the way.  I'm praying for that.

So, that's my Day One.  Thirty-nine to go.

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Kaysie.

    I'm giving up spending- nothing but the basics for 40 days.

    And I'm gonna try to give up sugar. Again.

    Blessings to you as you intentionally use this season to focus on what really matters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Kaysie. It is nice to know we walk a common path towards our Savior.

    Taking time to reflect on areas I need to improve upon is most welcome during Lent. I usually think about them on new year, but offer them up to God during Lent. I have this tendency to put things off until I need to meet a deadline. :)

    ReplyDelete